"> Just another thought...

It's the things that make you go mmmm..

Kisa was a gift to me <3 Thank you for the memories..I also had BooCat adopted for me..Thank you for everything

Monday, October 22, 2007

I'm not really dying. Honest.

I have just got back from yet another trip to the doctors. I am begining to think that I have that thing where you think that your ill all the time.. hypochonria

I have had a cough that has been gradually starting to annoy me.
So well meaning friends and several work collegues have pratically frog-marched me to the doctors.
There I sit in the waiting room, trying my hardest to hold the cough in. I really hate the stares people give you if you "look or act" ill in a doctors surgery... After all isn't that the whole reason that you are there?

My name gets called and in I bound as fast as my feet will carry me into the Doc's office.

Once there, it is like a huge relief and I start coughing away like a merry steam train.

"That sounds rough" The doc says. "let me listen to your chest".

As a young teenager I used to think that this was a doctor's way of seeing under my top..frightened the ever living daylights out of me that phrase. Now I just get on with it. Something about having children and losing dignity somewhere along the way I think.
I hoist up my top layer of clothing and feel the freezing cold air on my skin.

"It's cold in here" I complain.
"Breathe in and out slowly for me" was his reply.

He listens I get dressed and he starts typing away on his comp, filling in his notes. (I remember the days of notepads and things being written down... everyting is techy now).

He then turns to me and asks about the rest of my health "problems". (As I a note I have Diabetes. Not aware that I have any "problems" with my health other than that)
He then proceeds to take my blood pressure, order blood tests and offer me the flu jab.. which I have turned down. I generally try to avoid inflicting self induced pain on myself, if I can. After this he prints out several prescriptions for me, and hands me them.

"I only came in for a cough," was my bewildered reply. "Why have I got all these prescriptions as well?"

Apparently I have other medications that I should be taking in conjunction with the insulin tablets that I have been on for the last however long it is. The blood tests that he ordered are to check several functions of my interior.

I walked out of the chemist shop with more medicines than they had. I am now sitting at home reading labels and looking at the many different coloured tablets in amazement.

The doctor was very kind in telling me which each does, and why it is important to continue taking them. But, why only now? This was a question I asked him. To which his reply;
"These should have been issued in the begining when you was diagnosed. Someone has made a mistake somewhere"

That is the state of the health system.

And now I feel like a walking medicine cabinet. I only went there for a cough.. And you people who "forced" me to go.. You will be hearing from me =P

2 Comments:

  • At 11:52 pm, Blogger Mr Mans Wife said…

    For someone who hates doctors I always seem to end up there more often than I'd like. I try to see the nurse practitioner if I can - she seems more human. My favourite is the family planning nurse though - I wish I could see her for everything.

    I hope your cough clears up soon :o)

     
  • At 2:35 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Aiders,

    Thank you for reading my absolutely true & honest stories (every word) & taking the time to leave a little comment. That is what makes it worth while. I can only post once or twice a month because I am an absolute genius & find myself drained at the end of writing each wonderful story.

    In relation to the doctors waiting room. If anyone stairs at me I kill them. A quick donkey punch to the temple usually does it. Of course this type of public execution can often leave witnesses so sometimes I am forced to do in the rest of the waiting room patients as well. I like to use my Swiss army knife for this. it’s the kids that cause me the most problem, some of them are very chewy you see & can take ages to eat. If the are small enough I can swallow them whole.

    The staff at my doctors are generally quite good & have got used to my mass slayings. One member of staff even makes me a cup of tea when I am finished, she is a treasure.

    I have also received a letter of thanks from the health secretary praising me for helping to reduce hospital waiting lists, which was nice.

    I just wish more people would take the time to contribute to our society instead of leaving it all up to us psychopathic hypochondriacs.

    I have never actually been to hypochondria, but I have heard it is lovely at this time of year.

    Granny

     

Post a Comment

<< Home